I’m writing on a plane en route to my last face-to-face board meeting as president of Arrow Leadership. (See the postscript for more about my new chapter with Arrow.)
From my vantage point looking out the window at 39,000 feet, I’m reminded of Psalm 57:10: “For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.”
Reflecting back on twelve years as president, nineteen years on the Arrow team and the thirty-plus years of the ministry, I clearly see countless examples of God’s great love and his incredible faithfulness.
Here are just a few glimpses:
- As a young leader participating in the Arrow Leadership Program™, I tried twice to get sent home during the first training week. At the time, I didn’t think I belonged, and I doubted God could change my life or leadership. It’s simply a testament to God’s love, faithfulness and surprising sense of humor that he was planning I’d one day lead the ministry.
- I remember a financial challenge in my early days as president and our team setting aside a day to pray for God’s help. While we were praying, the mail arrived with the largest donation of the year, completely unsolicited.
- I think of Leighton Ford’s early vision to develop Jesus-centered leaders in the USA and then fast forward to Arrow expressions today in 14 more countries (including Kenya and Ghana launching this month).
- God’s love and faithfulness have been beautifully clear through the people whom he’s provided to serve, pray, give, encourage, partner and advocate for Jesus-centered leaders and the ministry of Arrow.
- The stories can keep going—especially stories about God’s love and faithfulness in transforming the lives of leaders in our programs. By God’s grace, I’ve had a front-row seat to miracle after miracle in the lives of leaders serving in churches, denominations, camps, youth and campus ministry, education and discipleship, evangelism, rescue missions, relief and development and marketplace. And I’ve seen the ripple effect of the change in a leader flow into their marriages, teams, ministries, communities and the world.
I share these examples for three reasons:
1. To give God glory. I’m simply in awe. There have been difficult seasons, but his love does reach to the heavens and his faithfulness to the skies.
2. As a reminder to pause and reflect on God’s love and faithfulness in your own life and leadership. In the intensity, speed and hardships of life and leadership, it’s important to pause and give thanks, to remember God’s character and to encourage others with the stories of God doing what only God can do.
- Where can you see God’s love and faithfulness in your life and leadership?
- What stories can you share to encourage others and give glory to God?
3. To thank you. Thank you for your prayers, encouragement and support. Thank you for giving me the privilege of walking alongside you.
Cheering you on,
Dr. Steve A. Brown
President, Arrow Leadership
P.S. On July 1, I transition to the new role of Arrow Ambassador. This exciting shift means focusing my time on speaking, teaching, writing and coaching leaders and Arrow alumni, serving Arrow partners as well as working on some personal projects. I look forward to contributing articles and posts in this space.